Home Page
sidemenuUpdate Discussion Forum How to Start a Book Club How to Join a Book Club Ordering Books Sample Discussion Q's Do's and Don'ts Book Clubs Book Reviews Recommended Lists Suggested Links Advertising Email button Discussion Forum
  Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Canadian Book Clubs Discussion Forum » Book Suggestions » WHAT HOPE HAVE YOU! « Previous Next »

Diane Baker Mason
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 1:40 pm:   

Hello, Bookclubbers - a pause for a moment of truly Canadian shameless self-promotion. My name is Diane Baker Mason, and I'm the author of a book called Last Summer At Barebones, which has enjoyed some critical and publishing success - it's just gone into its third printing in mass market paperback. Any Canadian writer knows that it's all about getting the book out there and *read* - so many really fine Canadian works don't get the promotion they deserve, often because their publishers are so underfunded. I have been so lucky, and am so grateful, that my little book (which I honestly thought was going to have limited appeal) ended up being a hit. But here's the crux of this message, and forgive me if it's out of line for this forum: as part of my unembarrassed (and arguably tacky!) publicizing of the book, I have been visiting bookclubs that choose my book, so that I can be heartlessly drilled by the members on the book's contents (it's okay; I'm a good sport). I have had a blast doing the clubs, but have had to drop doing them over the last year as I was finishing law school. Well, I just finished law school, and I am dying to start my "club visit" activities again. I'll visit in the GTA, including borderline Toronto venues like Hamilton and Barrie, and if you don't mind a perfect stranger visiting your club, then I'm your girl. I don't charge for the visit, but I will usually eat your food. And we always have a great time. If anyone wants an author visit, just drop me a line at bareboneslake@hotmail.com, and we can chat.
Diane Baker Mason
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   

WHAT HOPE HAVE YOU!
-ELAINE BUNBURY

A story of 3 families in South Africa of the different racial groups. It extends over four generations and is about a society rooted in colonialism and ruled by apartheid. The story is told, in part, by Kate, great-grandaughter of a Jewish couple who leave their home in Eastern Europe because of racial intolerance and emigrate to South Africa where diamonds have recently been discovered....."....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration