Home Page
sidemenuUpdate Discussion Forum How to Start a Book Club How to Join a Book Club Ordering Books Sample Discussion Q's Do's and Don'ts Book Clubs Book Reviews Recommended Lists Suggested Links Advertising Email button Discussion Forum
  Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Canadian Book Clubs Discussion Forum » Book Suggestions » "POPE JOAN" - Donna Woolfolk Cross - a great book - a great discussion novel. « Previous Next »

pat ryback
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   

Am interested in questions for a group reading CLAN of the CAVE BEAR
Dorothy, Dli
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2000 - 11:54 am:   

Hi: Have you read the historical fiction book, Pope Joan? (www.popejoan.com). It's on par with "Memoirs of a Geisha," Pillars of The Earth" and "Clan of the Cave Bear." It's marvelous reading. So marvelous, I read it for the second time.
: The author, Donna Woolfolk Cross, tells the story of a young girl in pursuit of an education and the only option available to her -- disguising herself as a man; entering the monastery; excelling in learning and becoming Pope. Her life will make you laugh; it will make you cry. It will definitely make you question! Was Joan a Pope? Did the Church bury her history with her bones; or, was she just a figment of someone's imagination? Personally, I for one believe she was a Pope. Men and women readers will appreciate the historic setting; the struggle in the church and the research of the book.
I did get a lot more insight when our reading club learned that Ms. Cross is personally available to groups via speakerphone chats to discuss our questions, our thinking and the many mysteries of Pope Joan. She promptly replies. Best of all, it costs nothing [US and Canada] -- the author makes the phone call herself (as she says, it protects her privacy and it's tax-deductible for her)! Interested groups can leave a message on the Pope Joan website, www.popejoan.com and the author will reply promptly to set up a time for a chat. After the discussion, your group will have something to talk about for a long time -- and -- you too will walk away with a little more knowledge.
: Another thing that is really an experience is that you can also post questions on her website guest book and the author will respond. I know because several of our reader's group did just that and were happy with the responses. Let me know how you make out. I'm waiting for the movie!
: Thanks for letting me visit with you.
: Dolphindli@aol.com
:

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration