Home Page
sidemenuUpdate Discussion Forum How to Start a Book Club How to Join a Book Club Ordering Books Sample Discussion Q's Do's and Don'ts Book Clubs Book Reviews Recommended Lists Suggested Links Advertising Email button Discussion Forum
  Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Canadian Book Clubs Discussion Forum » General Discussion » Big group issues - need advice! « Previous Next »

Publisher - Canadian Book Clubs
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 2:44 pm:   

Hello Jennster

You could also try a talking stick. Whoever holds the talking stick is the only one who can talk. Everyone else must remain silent. But this is slightly modified with the moderator who may request that a stick be passed to so and so. This visual image might help those who get too enthusiastic and forgetful.

Publisher
Canadian Book Clubs
felicity dunfield
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 2:21 pm:   

hello,

our book club has wrestled with this issue for nearly 10 years! (in other words since inception)
we usually have a chair person who calls us to order. we are a very unruly bunch and will splinter off into many little pockets of conversation. however we do have 1 person appointed by unanimous approval who does manage to keep us under some sort of control. when she is absent we really miss her.

so out of all that, my suggestion is to have a moderator or chair for each meeting.

our group is about a dozen and our typical meeting is usually about 8 to 10 people.

cheers,
happy reading
felicity dunfield
(women who run with books)
Jennster
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   

Hi!

We have about 16 people in our book club and We get about 9 - 12 ladies out each time we meet. The problem is, we are finding the discussions disorganized and people could find themselves in them mist of 3 different conversations. We had a group meeting about this issue and we decided that we could try and be a little more respectful to the person that is trying to make their point and we would have a time at the beginning of the meeting to hear everyone's opinion about the book. I know the group is large but at this point they do not want to split, mostly because they are really enjoying each person's opinion. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can make this run more smoothly with a big group? Has anyone else had this problem and found something that works? This group is very popular and I can only see it getting bigger. But I don't want to see conflict over issues like this ruin a good thing.
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration