Home Page
sidemenuUpdate Discussion Forum How to Start a Book Club How to Join a Book Club Ordering Books Sample Discussion Q's Do's and Don'ts Book Clubs Book Reviews Recommended Lists Suggested Links Advertising Email button Discussion Forum
  Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Canadian Book Clubs Discussion Forum » General Discussion » Any satire writers? « Previous Next »

Wendel Messer
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 7:24 pm:   

Please allow me to introduce myself and my book. I am Wendel Messer, author of The Sink: The Last Days of Driving. The Sink is a satire on the declining culture of the roadway. My purpose is to ridicule drivers and compel them to accept responsibility for their own behaviour on the road.

My book is severely critical of the way we live, especially drive--the interconnections are numerous, of course. My purpose is serious, yet the book has been hailed as a great work of humour. I read from it at the Leacock Festival in 2003. The book is also a recognized self-help for troubled drivers. That's something very unusual--a novel that is also a self-help; how many of those will you find? Social critique, humour, self-help--that's quite an accomplishment.

Yes, I'm beating my own drum. I am self-published, so if I don't do it, who will?

Reviews of The Sink:
Globe and Mail: "uniquely engaging...full of sardonic whimsy"
Canadian Writer's Journal: "You will never drive the same way again."
Drivers.com: "Zany...hilarious...a biting satire...brilliantly written"

Please visit my award-winning website for reviews, accolades, author bio etc. Many libraries have bought my book.

Delighted to answer any questions.

Yours truly,
Wendel Messer
Author of The Sink: The Last Days of Driving
wmesser@thesink.ca
www.thesink.ca
Something is terribly wrong with the mass of humanity.
cabbagebood
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 7:22 am:   

A member of my book club started a satire website www.untruenorth.com It is kind of like The Onion - but with a Canadian/Toronto focus. I think they could really use someone to write a funny book column each week.

Enjoy this site - our club has a humour focus - so we are always looking for great books in that category.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration